Household Books Published in Britain: all volumes
- The accomplish'd female instructor
The accomplish'd female instructor: or, a very useful companion for ladies, gentlewomen, and others. In two parts. Part I. Treating of generous breeding and behaviour; choice of company, friendship; the art of speaking well. etc. . . . Part II. Treating of making curious confectionaries, or sweetmeats, jellies, syrups, cordial-waters . . . to know good provisions, dye curious colours, whiten ivory . . . physical and chyrurgical [sic] receipts . . . and a great number of other useful and profitable things.
London: printed for J. Knapton 1704
16 cm 184 p.
GB: LBL LWML*
US: DCLC ICJ ICN
1. The preface is signed 'R. G.'; and BMCat. (1961) lists the work under 'G., R.'
- The accomplish'd housewife, and house-keeper's
The accomplish'd housewife, and house-keeper's pocket-companion, or the compleat family cook. etc.
printed by the author 1736
155 p. 1 sh. 6 d.
1. The only known reference to this work is in Oxford.
Cited: Oxford, p. 68
- The accomplish'd housewife
The accomplish'd housewife; or, the gentlewoman's companion. etc.
London: printed for J. Newbery 1745
17 cm. 431 p. 3 sh.
GB: LWML LeU(B)*
US: DCLC ICU MH
1. Oxford, p. 75, wrongly gives 'gent1eman's companion' in the main title.
2. A note in this work recommends readers who want a larger system of cookery to consult Harrison, S., The house-keeper's pocket-book.
3. Pennell, p. 156, gives the date as '1748', which could indicate that there was a 2nd ed.
4. Gents.Mag., vol. 15 (Aug. 1745), p. 448, confirms that the price was 3 sh., but Scotts Mag., vol. 7 (Aug. 1745), p. 400, quotes the price as '3 sh. 6 d.' The LeU(B) copy contains the bookplate of Francis Otway, Esq
5. Another LeU(B) copy is inscribed 'A. Cunningham'.
Bitting, p. 513; Oxford, p. 75
- The accomplish'd lady's delight in preserving
The accomplish'd lady's delight in preserving, physick, beautifying, cookery and gardening. etc. 9th ed. inlarged.
London: printed by Benjamin Harris sold by Benjamin Harris 1706
15 cm. 4, 176 p. frontis
US: DCLC KMK MH*
--10th ed. inlarged. London: printed for D. Pratt, 1719. LBL: KMK
--11th ed. inlarged. London: printed for John Willis and Joseph Boddington, [c.1720]. OBL: NPV
1. For earlier editions see Wing STC, vol. 3 (1951), p. 504, and BMCat. (1963) under P.,T. Both attribute authorship to Hannah Woolley (or Wolley), whose life is given in DNB, vol. 31 (1909), pp- 902-3
2. The preface is signed 'T.P.' in the 11th edition.
Bitting, p. 513; Oxford, pp. 37-8
Previous | Next