Household Books Published in Britain: all volumes
- The British jewel, or complete housewife's best companion
The British jewel, or complete housewife's best companion . . . directions for making English wines . . . Everyman his own physician . . . a method of restoring to life people drowned . . . to which is added the complete farrier. etc.
London: printed by J. Miller sold by J. Miller 1769
17 cm. 104 p. pls. 1 sh.
--another ed. [----]: printed for [----], 1776.
--a new ed. London: printed and sold by J. Miller, 1780. LBL
--a new ed. London: printed and sold by J. Miller, 1782. --: NYPL
--a new ed. London: printed and sold by J. Miller, 1785. LeU(B)
--a new ed. London: printed for Osborne and Griffin; and Gainsborough: printed for H. Mozley, 1788. LeU(B0
--a new ed. London: printed and sold by T. Sabine, [c.1790]. --: KMK
1. Oxford, p. 113, wrongly states that the 1st ed. was published in 1780. Although no copies of this edition have been located in the British Isles, they have been offered for sale in Germany and England; see Drexel, (1888), p. 28, and B & G.Cat., No. 37, p. 11.
2. The only known reference to the 1776 edition is given in Christie's Cat. (1 Aug. 1972), p. 51. This copy was sold to 'Edwards'.
3. For 1782 ed., see Stark, p. 17
4. The 1788 edition is entitled The new British jewel.
Bitting, p. 524; Oxford, pp. 112-131
- The British legacy: or, fountain of knowledge
The British legacy: or, fountain of knowledge, containing among upwards of two hundred other curious particulars, of the utmost service to families in general. etc.
London: printed for Thomas Chandler 1754
19 cm. X, 11~176 p. pls 2 sh.
US: CtY PPULC
--another ed. The fountain of knowledge, or British legacy. etc. London; printed by T. Bailey, [c.1760]. LBL; CtY; MH
--another ed. . . . upwards of five hundred . . . London: printed by W. Bailey, [c.1785]. --; DCLC
1. Up to p. 83 of the 1785 work is domestic advice, including cookery receipts. Thereafter it is devoted to a treatise: 'Everyone their own physician'; see Bitting, p. 380.
Bitting, pp. 379-80
Previous | Next