Household Books Published in Britain: all volumes
CLELAND, ELIZABETH flourished 1755-1770
- A new and easy method of cookery
A new and easy method of cookery [by Elizabeth Cleland] . . . chiefly intended for the benefit of the young ladies who attend her school. etc.
Edinburgh: printed for the author by Gordon and Wright 1755
20 cm. 204 p. 3 sh. 6 d.
--2nd ed. with appendix. Edinburgh: printed by C. Wright & Co., 1759. ENLS; LBL: MiD; NYPL
--2nd ed. with appendix. Edinburgh: printed by W. Gordon and Wright, 1759. ENLS; LeU(B); OBL
--2nd ed. London: printed for [----], 1759.
--3rd ed. with appendix. Edinburgh: printed for and sold by R. Fleming and W. Gray, 1770. CUL; ENLS; GUL: DCLC
1. For Elizabeth Cleland, who was a teacher of cookery in Edinburgh, see Alexander Law, 'Teachers in Edinburgh in the Eighteenth Century', Book of the Old Edinburgh Club, vol. 32 (1966), p. 120.
2. Scots Mag., vol. 17 (Apr. 1755), p. 216, confirms that the price was 3 sh. 6 d.
3. The 1st ed. of 1755 is not listed by either Bitting or Oxford. The present compiler located a copy in Sir Walter Scott's Library, Abbotsford House, near Melrose, Roxburghshire, and then found it listed in J. G. Cochrane [compiler], Catalogue of the Library at Abbotsford (Edinburgh, 1838), p. 298. There is also a copy of the ISC ed. in NYPL. It is a scarce item.
4. The ENLS copy is a microfilm o
Bitting, p. 91; Oxford, pp. 88-9
Previous | Next