Household Books Published in Britain: all volumes
ELLIS, WILLIAM died 1758
- The country housewife's family companion: or profitable directions
The country housewife's family companion: or profitable directions for . . . the management and good oeconomy of the domestick concerns of a country life . . . shewing how great savings may be made in housekeeping, . . . methods of cookery . . . method of making butter and cheese . . . brewing good beer. etc.
London: printed for James Hodges and for B. Collins, bookseller at Salisbury 1750
20 cm. X, 379 p. frontis
GB: ANLW LWIVI LeU(B)*
US: KMK NPV NYPL
1. For information on the author see Vicars Bell, To Meet Mr. Ellis (London, 1956).
Bitting, p. 143; Oxford, pp. 79-80.
- The London and country brewer, to which is added the cellar man
The London and country brewer, to which is added the cellar man. etc. [Anon.]. In three parts.
London: printed for W. Meadows 1734-1738
--another ed. Dublin: printed by M. Rhames and R. Gunne, 1735-1738. --: DCLC; MH-BA
--3rd ed. corrected. London: printed for J. and J. Fox, 1736-1738. --: NYPL
--4th ed. London: printed for Thomas Astley, 1742. --; DNAL; MH-BA
--5th ed. London: printed for Thomas Astley, 1744. --: CtY; KU
--6th ed. to which is added a supplement. London: printed for Thomas Astley and Richard Baldwin, 1750. LBL: KyU; MH
--7th ed. London: printed for Thomas Astley, 1759. CUL; LBL: DNAL; ICJ
1. Gents.Mag., vol. 6 (Aug. 1736), p. 492, confirms that the price was 2 sh.
2. The British Library copy has been lost or mislaid.
Previous | Next