Household Books Published in Britain: all volumes
PRICE, ELIZABETH flourished 1760?
- The new book of cookery; or, every woman a perfect cook
The new book of cookery; or, every woman a perfect cook; containing the greatest variety of approved receipts in all the branches of cookery and con- fectionary . . . to which are added, the best instructions for marketing . . . also directions for clear starching, and the ladies' toilet, or, art of preserving beauty; likewise a collection of phisical [sic] receipts. etc. A new eection [sic] for the present year, with great additions. etc.
London: printed for the authoress by Alex. Hogg Sold by Alex. Hogg [c.1760]
18 cm. iv, 13-371 p. frontis I sh.
US: DCLC DNLM NYPL
--a new ed. with great additions. London: printed for the authoress, and sold by Alex. Hogg, [c.1765]. LeU(B)
I . The author described herself as 'Mrs. Eliz. Price, of Berkeley Square, assisted by others who have made the art of cookery their constant study'.
2. The price is also given in the preface to the author's other work; see next entry: PRICE, Elizabeth, The new, universal, and complete confectioner (note 2).
3. The LeU(B) copy (1765 ed.) (which is wanting a frontispiece) is inscribed: 'Thos. Whisler Magdalen Norfolk', and is embossed on the cover: 'Maria Whisler 1795'.
Oxford, pp. 109-10
- The new, universal, and complete confectioner
The new, universal, and complete confectioner; or young woman's best guide, in the whole art of cookery .... including various modern and original receipts for making lemonade, orgeat, orangeade. etc.
London: printed for Alex. Hogg [c.1760]
17 cm. 5-94 p. frontis. 1 sh. 6 d.
GB: ENLS* LeU(B)
--another ed. London: printed by S. Couchman for Alex. Hogg, [c.1780]. --: DCLC
--another ed. the whole revised, corrected and improved. London: printed for Alex. Hogg, [c.1780]. LeU(B): DCLC; NYPL
--[? another ed.] The whole art of confectionary, by Eliz. Glasse [i.e. Elizabeth Price]. [London]: printed for [----], [----].
1. 'Orgeat' is a cooling drink made from barley or almonds and orange-flower water.
2. In her preface the author says: 'This day is published (price only 1 s.) Mrs. Price's New Book of Cookery, embellished with a beautiful frontispiece'; see under previous entry: PRICE, Elizabeth, The new book of cookery. Here is an advertisement which gives evidence for the price of the author's other, second work, but no clue to the date of 'this day' (in the same way in which she gave no clue to 'the present year' in the new edition of her second work).
3. The frontispiece (but nothing else) is identical to one used in another work sold by Alex. Hogg; see under earlier entry: PARTRIDGE, Ann, The ne
Bitting, p. 382; Oxford, p. 110
Previous | Next