Household Books Published in Britain: all volumes
SHACKLEFORD, ANN flourished 1767-1771
- The modern art of cookery improved; or, elegant, cheap, and easy methods of preparing most of the dishes now in vogue
The modern art of cookery improved; or, elegant, cheap, and easy methods of preparing most of the dishes now in vogue . . . To which is added, an appendix; containing a dissertation on the different kinds of food, their nature, quality, and various uses. by a physician and a marketing manual. etc.
London: printed for J. Newbery and F. Newbery 1767
17 cm. xxiv, 284 p. 3 sh.
US: DCLC NYPL
--another ed. Dublin: printed for [----], [c.1770]. LBL
--another ed. London: printed for T. Carnan and F. Newbery jun., 1771.
1. Little is known about the author. On the title-page she simply called herself: 'Mrs. Ann Shackleford of Winchester'.
2. Scots Mag., vol. 29 (Aug. 1767), p. 430, confirms that the price of the 1767 ed. was 3 sh.
3. The British Library copy of th 1770 edition has been destroyed. [Letter from BL Ref. Division to present compiler, dated 26 July 1977.]
4. The only known reference to the 1771 edition is given in an advertisement in Pub.Adv. (23 Jan. 1771), p. 4, which also gives the price.
Bitting, p. 430; Oxford, p. 95
Previous | Next