Household Books Published in Britain: all volumes
SWITZER, STEPHEN 1682?-1745
- The practical kitchen gardiner
The practical kitchen gardiner [sic]: or, a new and entire system of directions for his employment in the melonry, kitchen-garden, and potagery, in the several seasons of the year. etc.
London: printed for Tho. Woodward 1727
19 cm. xx, 424 p.
GB: LBL LeU(B)*
US: CU DCLC WU
1. For a life of the author see DNB, vol. 19 (1909), pp. 241-2. Switzer wrote several books on gardening and agriculture; see BM Cat. (1964).
2. A 'melonry' is an orchard.
3. A 'potagery' is a cookery-garden, for supplying herbs and small vegetables.
4. This work gives an insight into the range: of vegetables and herbs grown in the 18th century.
Previous | Next