Household Books Published in Britain: all volumes
The accomplish'd housewife
The accomplish'd housewife; or, the gentlewoman's companion. etc.
London: printed for J. Newbery 1745
17 cm. 431 p. 3 sh.
GB: LWML LeU(B)*
US: DCLC ICU MH
1. Oxford, p. 75, wrongly gives 'gent1eman's companion' in the main title.
2. A note in this work recommends readers who want a larger system of cookery to consult Harrison, S., The house-keeper's pocket-book.
3. Pennell, p. 156, gives the date as '1748', which could indicate that there was a 2nd ed.
4. Gents.Mag., vol. 15 (Aug. 1745), p. 448, confirms that the price was 3 sh., but Scotts Mag., vol. 7 (Aug. 1745), p. 400, quotes the price as '3 sh. 6 d.' The LeU(B) copy contains the bookplate of Francis Otway, Esq
5. Another LeU(B) copy is inscribed 'A. Cunningham'.
Bitting, p. 513; Oxford, p. 75